Jason Holder ban 'crippling', says Windies president

Jason Holder
Jason Holder has scored 229 runs and traken seven wickets in the series so far

Cricket West Indies president Dave Cameron has hit out at the "crippling decision" to ban captain Jason Holder from the third Test against England.

Holder has been given a one-match suspension for his side's slow over-rate during their second-Test victory.

Cameron says the rule "ought to be modified".

"We will of course abide by the ruling, but have to wonder if such punitive action at a pivotal stage of the series is good for cricket," he said.

"What a shame if the series is remembered not for the sparkling play of the reinvigorated West Indies players but for a crippling decision made by a rule that ought to be modified."

West Indies were ruled to have bowled two overs fewer than their target number during the second Test at Antigua.

As it was the second time Holder's West Indies had committed the offence in the past 12 months, having also been found guilty in a Test against Sri Lanka last June, the 27-year-old was given a one-match ban by the International Cricket Council.

Holder has been a central figure in West Indies securing a first series win over England since 2009, and their first over any side other than Bangladesh and Zimbabwe since 2012.

He was named man of the match after making an unbeaten 202 and taking two wickets in the 381-run win in the first Test, a performance which took him to the top of the ICC rankings for Test all-rounders.

Holder claimed 4-32 to help bowl England out for 132 in Antigua on Saturday before West Indies sealed victory with two days to spare.

He missed the second Test in New Zealand in December 2017 after being banned for a slow over-rate offence.

Opener Kraigg Brathwaite will captain West Indies in the third Test which starts in St Lucia on Saturday.

Keemo Paul added to squad for 3rd Wisden Trophy Te...
Mohammed rescues Red Force with unbeaten 79
>

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.cricketwindies.com/

Guyana Diaspora Online Forum

We have a large database of Guyanese worldwide.  Most of our readers are in the USA, Canada, and the UK.  Our Blog and Newsletter  would not only carry  articles and videos on Guyana, but also other articles on a wide range of subjects that may be of interest to our readers in over 200 countries, many of them non-Guyanese  We hope that you like our selections.

It is estimated that over one million Guyanese, when counting their dependents, live outside of Guyana.  This exceeds the population of Guyana, which is now about 750,000.  Many left early in the 50’s and 60’s while others went with the next wave in the 70’s and 80’s.  The latest wave left over the last 20 years. This outflow of Guyanese, therefore, covers some three generations. This outflow still continues today, where over 80 % of U.G. graduates now leave after graduating.  We hope this changes, and soon.

Guyanese, like most others, try to keep their culture and pass it on to their children and grandchildren.  The problem has been that many Guyanese have not looked back, or if they did it was only fleetingly.  This means that the younger generations and those who left at an early age know very little about Guyana since many have not visited the country.  Also, if they do get information about Guyana, it is usually negative and thus the cycle of non-interest is cultivated.

This Guyana Diaspora Online Forum , along with its monthly newsletter, aims at bringing Guyanese together to support positive news, increase travel and tourism in Guyana and, in general, foster the birth of a new Guyana, which has already begun notwithstanding the negative news that grabs the headlines.  As the editor and manager of the publication, I am committed to delivering Blog entries and Newsletters that are politically balanced, and focused on the positive ideas we wish to share and foster among Guyanese.

Go to top